When speed across most any terrain is priority number one, look no further than the SES 4.5. Originally designed for the cobbles and crosswinds of Paris-Roubaix to provide an aero benefit with high volume tires, the SES 4.5 was the first of its kind and is now re-designed to deliver more speed in a lighter package.
The ENVE house favorite for its outright speed and confidence-inspiring ride, the SES 4.5 has been re-engineered to reduce weight, increase aero efficiency and further expand its capabilities when the going gets fast. Whether you’re pinning on the number for race day or seeking the fastest road wheelset across undulating terrain, the SES 4.5 is in the sweet spot for speed.
Originally designed to provide an aerodynamic advantage across the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix when running high-volume 28-32mm tires, the SES 4.5 AR was the first of its kind when it was introduced in 2016. New for 2022, we’ve taken all the best features of the SES 4.5 AR, such as the high-volume tire optimized rim design and shaping that gives it class-leading aerodynamics and stability, and updated it to include anti pinch-flat technology along with a lighter more refined laminate to reduce weight and improve the ride feel. The re-design gives the new SES 4.5 greater versatility through pinch-flat resistance and a reduction in weight with zero compromises to speed.
With an internal rim width of 25mm, confident handling results, making the SES 4.5 a game-changer on technical courses with imperfect pavement. Like the rest of the SES wheel line, the SES 4.5 has been optimized for road tubeless performance and features a hookless bead design that allows for the precise rim dimensions required to achieve the best tubeless performance. To further improve tubeless tire and rim reliability, this aerodynamic carbon fiber wheelset features ENVE’s patent pending Wide Hookless Bead, a design element at the leading edge of the rim that provides a more forgiving surface, that when impacted, will reduce the likelihood of pinch-flatting a tubeless tire.
• Go fast, everywhere
• 1511g Wheelset Weight Avg. (XDR) (+/- 2%)
• Inner Rim Width: 25mm
• Aero optimized tire size: 27mm-28mm
• Minimum labeled tire size: 27mm
• For Use With Tubeless Tires Only
ENVE's aero wheel development program is driven by our Real-World Fast mantra. This means that each wheel is developed under consideration of airflow efficiency, crosswind stability, handling, weight, tire integration, and much more. The result is a refined collection of wheels that are purpose built to be best-in-class and provide the maximum speed and efficiency benefit available for their intended discipline application.
Over time, the SES 4.5 has redefined the bar by which all other aero wheels are judged. Faster than nearly all our competitor's deeper wheels, while also being lighter, and more confidence inspiring in gusting crosswinds, the SES 4.5 is the ENVE house favorite for a reason. If you're a speedfreak looking for the perfect race wheelset, look no further.
THE SES DIFFERENCE:
There's a simple reason why SES wheels consistently score "best in test" in nearly any third-party aero test. We're committed to sweating the small stuff and chasing the marginal gains that others will not.
• In-frame development and ride testing have taught us that unique rim shapes and constructions between the front and back wheels optimize efficiency and the ride experience.
• Front wheels are designed to maximize crosswind stability. A rider's stability on the bike, especially in time trial and triathlon, is critical for aero efficiency and overall performance.
• Rear wheels are designed to recapture air flow as it passes from the front of the bike to the back, which maximizes drag reduction.
Aerodynamically optimized around modern high-volume tubeless tires.
• The all-new SES lineup was developed around the ENVE SES 27mm tire.
• Tested at 20 mph (32 kph) and 30 mph (48 kph). Our SES promise of Real-World Fast isn't limited only to cycling's elite.
• Weighted Average Drag - All wind angles are not created equally. Anemometer data shows that most of your ride time will be spent in wind at less than 12 degrees yaw. Weighted average drag is a tool that helps a rider understand the aero efficiency of a wheelset in real-world wind and riding conditions.
ENGINEERED FLAT PROTECTION:
Most flat tires are caused by one of two things; Intrusion punctures (staples, thorns, glass, etc.) or pinch-flats (potholes, railroad tracks, rocks, etc.). While there is little we can do as a rim manufacturer to prevent punctures, the rim feature called Wide Hookless Bead greatly reduces the likelihood of pinch-flatting. Wide Hookless Bead technology works by providing a blunt surface upon which to bottom out the tire, dissipating energy across a larger surface area and preventing tire damage. This allows you to run the correct tire pressure without the worry of pinch-flatting.
ENVE PREMIUM ROAD HUB:
What could be considered the nucleus of an SES wheel, the ENVE Premium Road Hub brings efficiency, longevity, and simplicity to every wheelset. From hub flange geometry to bearing longevity to Perfect PreloadTM, every design detail comes from more than a decade of pairing ENVE carbon rims with the leading hubs on the market. Key benefits of the ENVE Premium Road Hub are:
• Hub Shell Geometry: The hub's flange diameters, spacing, and spoke hole lacing pattern assists in maximizing torsional stiffness, spoke tangency, and power transfer.
Lightweight: Cold-forged and machined 6061 alloy for durable lightweight performance. Weight: Front 126 grams, Rear 256 grams
• Premium Grade Stainless Steel Bearings: The bearings selected are premium grade and custom-made for ENVE. Full stainless steel races promise that riders living near the coast, or riding in wet or humid environments, will not experience corroded bearings, races, or external surfaces.
• Perfect PreloadTM: Our system ensures perfect bearing preload from the factory via a tuned wave washer installed on the axle. The result is a maintenance free design that promises longer bearing life, and improved rolling efficiency over the lifespan of the hub.